Wednesday, July 9, 2008

May 08 - Vision For The New Church

We had to draw a line in the sand.

While that sounds more dramatic than it really was, we as a group knew that at some point, we needed to stop being a small group, and start being the church. Therefore, May was really about drawing a line in the sand, and deciding who would continue on in the church plant, and who would not. In order to have an informed opinion of the church plant, I held an information dinner for the small group. At the information dinner, I delineated my vision for the church plant. It was at this dinner that I shared the name of the church, and my vision for a church made up of neighborhood churches just like ours, planted in the downtown area. These neighborhood churches would adopt and transform neighborhoods all over downtown as we live out Christ's command to tell the good news, and make disciples of all nations. While the goal wasn't new, the method was, and to be honest with you, I was completely scared. I was sure that I would have to do a song-and-dance to keep the group's attention. And I was ready for a series of counter-arguments to defend my position. Of course, that was not necessary (nor should it be). Instead, the group jumped in and began to help me brainstorm.

Wow!

That's all I could think. They want to help me make this happen! Now, not all were on board, but most were. And so the dinner really ended with us planning out the next year.

But, I still encouraged everyone to take the summer and pray through this decision. It was a big decision, and would take people that were committed to the gospel.

By the way. The name of the church is Koine Church of Dallas. Koine is the greek word for "shared", or "common". It speaks of a shared message, kingdom, life. We are in this together.

It is pronounced: coin-aye. Imagine a Canadian is offering you a coin. "Coin, eh?"

Heh. :)




No comments: